Friday, August 22, 2014

The Healing Power of Acupuncture

The Healing Power of Acupuncture


Acupuncture is a healing modality that has been around for centuries with sound scientific evidence.  It is safe and in many cases, works when other options have not.

The type of acupuncture that I use is called auricular acupuncture.  This means acupuncture in the ear.
It is common for a patient to ask "Doc, how can you make my back feel better by poking a needle in my ear?"   Well,  you see, it works like this,  your ear is a microsystem of the body.  Points on the ear correlate with different areas of the body.  It stimulates the meridian, or energy system, releasing energy blockages.  In addition acupuncture releases endorphins in the brain, encouraging the brain to fight pain naturally.

I am fortunate enough to be part of a pain management team at Memorial Hermann Hospital in Houston, Texas where we use holistic health practices to help people with chronic and acute pain.  My part of this program is acupuncture, meditation and therapeutic yoga.  I create a protocol for each patient to fit their particular needs.  The outcome has been excellent. 

Among my family and close friends I am lovingly referred to as the witch doctor, or teased about that voodoo stuff I use. I take it as a compliment.  And, you know what?  It works, and it works well without all the nasty side effects that long term use of opiates can cause.  

If you struggle with pain, anxiety or depression, I can help you, please contact me at gentlemoonessentials@gmail.com.  Together, we will find a solution. 

No comments:

Post a Comment